Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Don't Take My Debate TV


I thought my ears were deceiving me when I heard that John McCain aimed to cancel the presidential debate and suspend his campaign.

I flipped to WVON, caught a snippet and ran to my laptop to verify. There is was, confirmed on the New York Times website.


McCain wants out.

So much for those ballroom, bar and hall rentals. I have received more emails for debate parties and viewings in the past two weeks than I can count. News radio, tv and web banners are hyping the debate like it's a heavyweight champion fight.

I guess it is, well, if it happens.

Supposedly, McCain wants to take these precious two days to work on the economy. Wisely, Barack Obama stated that with just 40 days left until the leader of the free world takes the reigns, the American people deserve to know the candidates' views on the matter and wants the debate to go on.

The story goes that Obama initiated the call to McCain, suggesting that they make a joint statement regarding the economy. Six hours later, McCain jumped the gun and made his crash and rash announcement, taking Obama's good intentioned jesture a step further and recommended ending the debates.

It's this assumption that the American people are idiots that I take issue with. Obama's numbers are up, McCain has repeated frequently that the economy is his weak point, he's not the most intriguing speaker in the world and the haste to cancel the debate makes McCain look like he's running scaird.

There is no spin to make this action look lofty. Citizens deserve to see their presidential candidates debate during this unique time.

The debate should go on.

2 comments:

karadimos said...

Greetings. I was led to your post by the 'Pythagorean' graphic you are using in one of your previous posts. You are simply linking to it from your blog, which is essentially hijacking a piece of my bandwidth.

It's Internet bad form.

Then, I read your views on the debate and other thoughts, such as 'lipstickgate.'

Talk about Greek tragedies? I think the left owns the drama for this election.

Yes, I am glad that there was a debate last night; so, I share your sentiments about getting to know the candidates and seeing how they stand on real issues. However, if it had better served the country for them to have worked as senators, then we should all be more upset at them both for debating.

What's the theme in my comments? Let's stop newbies such as Obama from stealing the show (and my hard-earned money) and let's stop Internet newbies such as yourself from stealing bandwidth.

You being a newbie doesn't hurt the Internet -- only hinders it -- but Obama's naivete will hurt the country.

Time to take the trainign wheels off.

Steve Kells said...

Well said Karadimos. Not the political part, the part about noobs stealing bandwith.

You should apply for the internet police.